Friday 1 June 2012

FOOD

I am currently teaching on the BA Dance in the Community course at UCS in Ipswich. During the summer term I invited choreographer Fearghus O'Connuir, dance artist Keir Patrick and Feldenkrais practitioner Thomas Kampe (and a group of students from LondonMet) to teach a workshop for the students at UCS. Over the past years I have formed relationships with each of these artists and it was great to bring them to Ipswich and to bring them together with the students. There are similarities between how we all work within our own creative and somatic practices, focussing on the expressive potential of pure movement. So while these separate workshops provided food for thought, I did want to create a continuity of investigation. I tried to do this through creating a choreographic work that would capture some of the students discoveries during these workshops. So in collaboration with first year students we created a short piece called FOOD and presented it in the end of year show on the 29th and 30th May at Forefront Studio in Ipswich.

Emily in the first year at UCS said about the Feldenkrais workshop:
" This somatic practice was something that I had never experienced or even witnessed before so although this was to the LondonMet students' daily routine, to me it was unknown territory. Once the class had progressed I began to recognise similarities between this method and things that I had experienced before. I also enjoyed the prospect of a completely different dance style taught in a different way. I felt that doing this workshop my improvisation skills were improved and I was able to just dance without having to think about it too much."

For some further reference:
Fearghus O'Connuir
Thomas Kampe
Keir Patrick

No comments:

Post a Comment